Visit my Shop Hoping Believing Waiting

Visit my Shop Hoping Believing Waiting
Baby Dust, Wristbands, Necklaces and more! (Proceeds go to help fund our journey)

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Lovenox Injections

Started my first Lovenox injection last night. This will be my first cycle using this drug. When I did all the testing with Dr. Kwak-Kim I tested positive for the PAI-1 and Factor XIII blood clotting gene. Most likely this is the leading cause of my mc or failed implantation issues. So I am thankful I am able to do this drug this time around and really hope it helps. I go back down to chicago on July 29th to see Dr. K and do another blood flow u/s that will tell her how well it is working and adjust dosage before transfer day. 

The shot was a little painful, for the one today I am going to try and ice it and administer it more slowly to help prevent so much bruising on my stomach. Posting a video below of someone doing a shot of Lovenox. If this FET is successful I will continue on this medication all through out pregnancy.



Benefits of Lovenox:
It an anti-coagulant that is administered through injections and there are several reasons for its effectiveness as a treatment for multiple miscarriages:
  • Prevents the formation of blood clots in the embryo and placenta.
  • Increases the production of cellular substances that are important in the implantation process.
  • Increases insulin-like growth factor at the site of implantation.
  • Increases production of a protein that assists in binding the early embryo to the lining of the uterus.
  • Has suppressive effects on the immunologic causes of recurrent miscarriage.
Why you may need Lovenox?:
Some women absolutely NEED it in order to PREVENT a miscarriage (or their own stroke, or heart attack, or DVT, etc.) To be technical, baby aspirin is a blood thinner and heparin/Lovenox is an anti-coagulant. They perform two different, equally important functions for thrombophilia patients. Both are out of your system within roughly 24 hours. That's why baby aspirin is taken daily and heparin/Lovenox as often as twice daily during pg. Hundreds of thousands of women have had successful pregnancies using these meds. People don't just take heparin/Lovenox because they hope it will help; they take it because they've been diagnosed with at least one form of thrombophilia (Factor V Leiden, Factor II Prothrombin, MTHFR, APA's), which means their blood has an increased risk of clot. Thus, they would be endangering both their babies and themselves if they DIDN'T take the meds.

No comments:

Post a Comment